Submitted by admin on Mon, 10/27/2014 - 4:10pm
Terms of Reference:
The vice dean assists the dean of the Faculty of Arts in the areas of process, policies and plans. The vice dean assists with managing human and financial resources that sustain the faculty’s academic programs. The vice dean provides leadership in the areas of internationalization, equity and diversity, as well as oversight of the faculty’s research centres.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- With the dean, designs, develops, and implements the faculty's academic and strategic plans. Documents, publicizes and archives processes, policies, and plans.
- Assists heads and directors in managing the human and financial resources that sustain the faculty's academic programs.
- With the dean, works on the promotion and tenure process, new faculty and headship searches, the merit system, study and other leaves, collective agreement and policy interpretation, and grievances.
- With the Human Resources Partner, advises heads on academic searches, appointments, reviews, and workload policies.
- With the Finance Partner, allocates annual funding for teaching and learning activities.
- With the Associate Dean - Teaching and Learning, establishes and maintains indicators of faculty teaching performance for merit and promotion.
- Is responsible for the review, revision, and approval of the faculty's teaching plan.
- Promotes internationalization, oversees the management of international student and faculty experiences (such as student exchange or study abroad programs), and has oversight of the international strategy for the Faculty of Arts, and chairs the faculty’s Internationalization Committee.
- Chairs the faculty’s Equity & Diversity Committee that leads efforts and coordinates initiatives to advance equity and diversity within the faculty.
- Chairs the faculty’s Committee of Directors of Research Centres & Institutes in Arts; oversees the setting of common goals, performance expectations, review cycles, financial management; supports and mentors directors applying for external and internal grants to augment the capacity of Arts Research Centres & Institutes.
- May serve as the dean's designate for faculty members' concerns and grievances at the decanal level.
Title and home department: Professor, Linguistics, Languages & Cultures
Education and career highlights:
- PhD, University of British Columbia
- MA and Staatsexamen, University of Goettingen
- Director, Language Research Centre
- Former Department Head, Germanic, Slavic & East Asian Studies; Linguistics, Languages & Cultures
- Contemporary German literature, culture, and film
- Fascism and film
- Tolerance in German culture
- Gender and religion
- Racism and Otherness in contemporary German culture
- Assists the dean of the Faculty of Arts in the areas of process, policies and plans
- Assists with managing human and financial resources that sustain the faculty’s academic programs.
- Provides leadership in the areas of internationalization, equity and diversity,
- Has oversight of the faculty’s research centres.
E email@example.com> View personal biography