April 12, 2023
Royal Saskatchewan Museum
The Friends of the Royal Saskatchewan Museum (FRSM) is seeking a Conservation and Collections Care Assistant to work with staff in the Archaeology, Conservation and Indigenous Studies departments at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum (RSM). You can expect to gain hands-on experience working with diverse materials in both the Indigenous Studies and Archaeology collections and learn from professionals in the fields of conservation and collection management. Three main summer projects will include: contributing to the identification of glass disease on beaded belongings in the Indigenous Studies collection to guide future conservation initiatives; rehousing artifacts in the Archaeology collection to increase collection access and preservation standards; and assisting with the re-inventorying and accessioning of artifacts in the Archaeology collection.
• You will meet all eligibility requirements for the Young Canada Works program. https://bit.ly/3Y3wCue
• You should have at least two (2) years of post-secondary education in either the arts or sciences, with a demonstrated interest towards a career in collections management, curation, or conservation.
• Experience in museum handling and information management is preferred.
• Excellent communication and computer skills are required.
• Keen observational skills and manual dexterity considered important attributes.
• Previous experience working with database systems is desirable.
• Prior museum collection experience would be an asset, as well as an interest in Indigenous cultural heritage belongings.
• Most importantly, candidates must have an eagerness to learn, and experience working in a cultural history museum atmosphere/workplace and have a pleasant disposition towards working closely with museum staff.
• Must be a post-secondary student returning to school in the fall.
We value diverse staff and students. The competition is open to all candidates, but this initiative gives preference to Indigenous applicants. We encourage all eligible Indigenous person(s) and minorities to apply for this position.
This position is dependent upon funding from the Young Canada Works program. Employment is for up to 14 weeks, from May 8th to August 11th, 2023. 40 hours per week, $18.50 per hour. Application deadline is Sunday, April 16th, 2023.
Email applications (cover letter and resume/CV) to:
Victoria Kablys (she/her)
Conservator, Royal Saskatchewan Museum