Assessment and placement
Enrollment in Chinese language courses involves a formal assessment and placement process, therefore all students interested in Chinese language courses must consult with the School to be placed according to their experience and ability. The School can refuse a student permission to register or remain in a particular language course if the instructor deems that the student's knowledge exceeds the level of that course. Students are advised that misrepresenting their level of knowledge in the language of the course constitutes academic dishonesty and will be dealt with as such.
Prior to registering in any Chinese language courses, students are required to complete the online Chinese Placement Application Form.
Note - Registration in any of the Chinese culture courses (such as CHIN 317, 355, 357) does NOT require completion of the placement application.
Students seeking credit by special assessment should consult with the School regarding courses available for credit in this manner. Native speakers are not eligible to take language courses by special assessment or to receive advanced credit for them.
Online Application instructions
- Click the link below to begin
- Read the information and follow the steps to fill out the form. Provide as much information as possible and submit. If you experience any technical difficulties in submitting your form, please contact the main office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have completed and submitted the form, your application will be assessed and you will receive an email at your @ucalgary.ca explaining your next steps, so please monitor your @ucalgary.ca email for application updates.
- If your next steps include setting up an appointment for a written placement test or oral interview, please contact email@example.com.
- Once you have completed all of the necessary steps, you will receive another e-mail at your @ucalgary.ca, informing you which Chinese language course you have been approved to register in. You can then register in the course using your Student Centre.