Campus hallway

Graduate fees and funding

Before starting your graduate program, make sure you understand your tuition and general fees, and learn about funding available.

Departmental Funding

Funding offered by the Department of Sociology for graduate studies.

Funding Amounts

At the time of admission, students are offered a guaranteed funding package.

  • The minimum guaranteed funding for PhD students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents is $22,000 annually for the first four years.  The minimum guaranteed funding for international PhD students on student visas is $24,000 annually for the first four years.
  • The minimum guaranteed funding for thesis-based MA students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents is $20,000 for the first 24 months in the program. The minimum guaranteed funding for thesis-based MA students on student visas is $24,000 for the first 24 months in the program.
  • Course-based MA students will be offered funding on a competitive basis.

What makes up this funding

Most students are funded through teaching assistant positions and scholarships obtained through competitions. All of the following types of funding count toward meeting your guaranteed funding amount:

  • Graduate teaching and non-teaching assistantships.
  • Stipend/scholarship payment from supervisor’s research grant.
  • Graduate research assistantships of $3000 or more annually.
  • External scholarships, including SSHRC, CIHR, and AGES funding programs.
  • Internal scholarships, including from the Sociology program, or university competitions such as the Graduate Awards Competition (GAC).
  • Income for up to two appointments to teach undergraduate courses as a sessional instructor.

Eligibility and Conditions

  • To be eligible to receive financial support, you must be registered full time and active in the program.
  • You must apply for external funding for which you are eligible, such as tri-council funding (SSHRC, CGS-M or CGS-D), and the University’s Graduate Awards Competition (GAC).
  •  In addition, please note:
    • Students receiving scholarship funding from their supervisor’s grant must fulfil their supervisor’s reasonable expectations regarding attendance and activity in the research environment.
    • You must be available to take employment as a teaching assistant if offered during the fall, winter, spring, or summer terms
    • You must maintain satisfactory progress in your program as defined by the Faculty of Graduate Studies Graduate Calendar and obtain a rating of “satisfactory” or better on your annual progress report.
    • Instances of academic or non-academic misconduct may result in the re-evaluation of prior funding commitments, subject to the minimums established above.
    • If an international student’s visa status changes during their funded time in program, the student’s minimum guaranteed funding will be adjusted accordingly.

Tuition and Fees

You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees.

See tuition and fees in the graduate calendar.

Funding from university sources? You can apply for a payment plan.

Requirements to Seek Funding for International Students

All eligible MA and PhD students must apply each year for any external awards funded through their home governments. Failure to apply may result in a decrease in or cancellation of Departmental funding.

Funding Requirements

Departmental funding is dependent on a good academic standing and reasonable progression through the program. If you need to take longer to complete the degree, the Graduate Program Director will work with you to make arrangements.

You are eligible to have funding from multiple sources (ie. Graduate Assistantship (teaching or non-teaching) and an internal scholarship).

Scholarships and awards

Scholarships and awards

Learn more about scholarships and awards available to both undergraduate and graduate students.

Student loans

Student loans

If you're a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, protected person or American citizen, you can apply for a student loan.

Working during grad school?

Working during grad school?

Have a competing award or assistantship? The Faculty of Graduate Studies can help explain the rules and regulations concerning awards, grants and assistantships graduate students are eligible to receive.