Get academic advice and plan your degree

Find out how to get help from the Arts Students' Centre and other campus resources

FAQs for 2020 Winter Academic Review

How are CR/F Grades Requested?

Students will make this choice after they have completed their Winter 2020 courses and received their final grades. You will have until May 22nd, 2020 to communicate your choices to the Registrars’ Office. Details about the online submission process will be emailed to students by April 10th, 2020. See here for more information.

Will the CR/F grade apply to full year courses?

Yes. Courses that span over the fall and winter terms will be eligible for the CR/F grade as the grade associated with the course is tied to the Winter 2020 term. This also applies to three unit courses that were scheduled as non-standard over the fall and winter terms.

Will there be a grade point assigned to any grades that receive an “F” in the winter 2020 term?

No, all “F” grades will not carry any weight.  While they do not carry weight, they are still an indicator of a failure and will appear on the transcript.

Will the CR count toward meeting degree and pre-requisite requirements?

Yes, while the CR does not carry a grade point value, students will be treated as successfully receiving credit for the course.  For the Winer 2020 term, CR grades will be used to meet prerequisite and core program requirements.

If I request a deferral of final assessment can I be considered for a CR/F grade?

Yes, students who request a deferral of final assessment will be able to request a CR/F grade after they view their final grade.  Final grades for DFAs are due by June 5, 2020.  Students will have until June 12 submit their request for the CR grade. F grades will automatically be non-weighted.

How will the CR be used for admission to Graduate and Professional Programs?

FGS, CSM (MD program) and Vet Medicine are currently reviewing their processes for the Fall 2020 intake and beyond.  Regulations will be established for future admission intakes over the course of the upcoming academic cycle. For programs that are external to the UC, you are advised to contact those organizations.

Academic advising

Course selections should be appropriate to your degree program requirements. As an Arts student, at least half of your courses each year should be in the Faculty of Arts.

Course planning and academic advising

You can speak to an academic advisor about course planning, course selection, registration, program progression and more.

Contact us

Program requirements

The University of Calgary academic calendar is the school's definitive source of information for current students.

Go to academic calendar

Academic Requirements Tool

You'll need to enroll in the courses that fulfill your degree requirements. The AR tool will help you visualize and plan.

Learn more

Need to change your program?

Are you an undecided student first declaring your degree program? Learn more about exploratory advising.

Or do you want to change any component of your program?

Submit a Change of Program application

Course planning

Registration help

Plan your schedule - see How to Register »

Change your registration - see How to Use your Student Centre »

Thinking about dropping or withdrawing from a course?

Please be aware of deadlines and remember to get advice from a program advisor first! They'll help you make the best decision. Contact us »

Decided to withdraw? Learn what it means to your academic record »

Need to defer course work?

Find and fill out the form

Need to defer a final exam?

Find out how

Do you want to take courses at another institution? Learn how

Snowfall in Amsterdam. Picture by Justin Quaintance

Internationalize your degree

Interested in studying abroad? Find out about regulations, and everything else you need to know to make it happen.

Visit UCalgary International

Embedded certificates

Enrich your degree with an embedded certificate

Pressed flower in book

Embedded Certificate in Creative Writing

If you complete 18 units from the Field of Creative Writing, you are eligible to earn an Embedded Certificate. 

View certificate details

Stacked rocks against a pink sky

Certificate in Mental Wellbeing and Resilience

Become a mental health champion, build positive skills and resilience and help us create a community of caring, all while earning your degree.

Learn more

Annual Academic Review

Every year, at the end of the winter semester, the academic performance of students registered in the Faculty will be reviewed if they have completed at least 18 units at the University of Calgary since their previous review. Students who have completed less than 18 units since the previous review will retain their existing standing until the subsequent review.

1. GPA 2.00 or higher

To be in good standing, students much achieve a GPA of 2.00 or higher on all courses taken since their last review.

2. Probation

Those previously in good standing whose GPA in the review year is less than 2.00, but above 1.70, will be placed on probation.

3. Clearing probation

Those already on probation who clear 2.00 at the annual review also clear their probation.

4. Withdraw from Faculty

Those already on probation who fail to clear 2.00 at the annual review will normally be required to withdraw from the Faculty.

All students whose GPA in the annual review is below 1.70 will normally be required to withdraw from the Faculty, regardless of their previous standing.

5. Academic Turnaround Program

The Academic Turnaround Program (ATP) provides students facing their first Required to Withdraw ruling the opportunity to continue their studies. Eligible students will receive a written invitation to participate from the Associate Dean or designate. This letter will specify a deadline by which the student must initiate participation in ATP or the student will be required to withdraw. Students approved for ATP may continue their studies on probation provided that they fulfill all requirements and are compliant with all conditions of the program.  

Learn more


In these times of uncertainty there have been lots of questions regarding the move to offer an unweighted CR/F option for your Winter 2020 term classes.  The attached document explains how the Faculty of Arts will use these grades in important calculations such as the annual academic review and the Dean’s List.

What is academic integrity?

Integrity means adhering to your values in all circumstances. When we talk about academic integrity, we mean that the values and ideas that inform our decisions in other parts of our lives, such as honesty and respect for others and ourselves, also inform our academic work and our life at the university. Strive to be as honest in your academic work as you are with your family and friends, your colleagues and co-workers.

Forms that academic dishonesty can take are cheating on exams, plagiarizing assignments (either in whole or in part), or lying in order to obtain an advantage in your course work. The University of Calgary Undergraduate Calendar lists various forms of academic dishonesty along with their definitions.

Because of the importance of academic integrity, severe penalties are imposed for intellectual dishonesty that range from a failing grade on an assignment or in a course to disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion from the University. The range of penalties for academic misconduct is set out in the University of Calgary Academic Calendar.

As a student, it is your responsibility to ensure that all submissions of your work meet the standards of intellectual honesty. Attend a seminar at the Student Success Centre to learn how to cite sources or how to conduct yourself in collaborative projects. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your assignments and consult your instructor if you have any questions or concerns PRIOR to submitting your work.

Maintain your integrity. Be honest. Learn well.

Preparing to graduate

Satisfy requirements

Confirm with an Arts Students' Centre program advisor that you are in fact clear to graduate. This should be done after you have registered in your final courses.

Contact us

Have you taken courses at another institution?

Ensure that all transcripts for Letter of Permission courses are received by the admissions office. This will need to be done as soon as you have completed your transfer course if you wish to use the course for program requirements.

Contact us

Apply for graduation

This most crucial step is completed through your Student Centre and needs to be done prior to the stated deadline. Deadlines can be found:

Enrolment Services Graduation and Convocation site

Get help from the Arts Students' Centre (ASC)

Ask us about degree programs, graduation and more.

Office information:
Office location: Social Sciences 102
618 Campus Place NW
Phone number: 403.220.3580

Interested in grad studies? Talk to a graduate program officer


Pink chatbox icon

Program advising


Instead, students can reach the program advisors via phone drop-in at 403-220-3580 from 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm during these dates. 

Students can also reach advisors via e-mail at


Outside of the above outage dates, we offer the following program advising options:

Booked Appointments - 9am to 12pm: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Book an appointment with an advisor

Book Zoom meeting »

Drop-in phone Advising - 1pm to 4 pm: Monday to Friday 

Email advising questions:

Please note that we are closed on Thursday mornings.



Orange question mark icon

General advising


For general questions, you have the option of emailing or dropping into our virtual front desk.

Virtual Front Desk Hours:

  • 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
  • 10:30 am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm: Thursday

An ASC staff member will be available to answer your question via the chat function or by video.

Enter virtual front desk