Religious studies seeks to develop understanding and empathy for diverse religious traditions and the people who practise them. It approaches the study of religion from a multidisciplinary perspective using methods drawn from various disciplines
- Master of Arts (MA), thesis-based in Religious Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Religious Studies
Master of Arts (MA), thesis-based in Religious Studies
Go to university calendar »
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Religious Studies
Go to university calendar »
Understanding graduate studies
Get important information about what you need to do before you begin your grad studies.
Ready to apply?
Ready to start your application? Get the information you need to apply today.
What is thesis-based study?
Pursue independent research guided by a supervisor who shares your research interests. If you want to advance your knowledge or expand your expertise in a specific field or research area, our thesis-based programs are for you.
What is course-based study?
Ideal for students seeking to advance their careers, our course-based programs offer research, project and group work components in a wide variety of delivery methods.
What is a supervisor?
A supervisor is a faculty member who oversees your research and the development of your thesis.
MA Degree Admission Requirements
- A University of Calgary four-year baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized institution, with a minimum grade point average of 3.30 on a 4 point scale for the work done in the last ten full course equivalents
- A minimum of six full-course equivalents in Religious Studies (or their equivalents), including at least one full-course equivalent from each of the three streams (Eastern, Western, Nature), as determined by the departmental graduate committee
- A reading knowledge of a modern language other than English or of a classical language appropriate to the thesis research. The language requirement normally should be met before admission to the MA program. Exemption from this requirement will be accorded to those who have proof (e.g., one full course equivalent of language study; native linguistic skills) of reading competency in an appropriate language
Acceptance to graduate programs at the University of Calgary is competitive. Success in meeting our minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the MA program.
PhD Degree Admission Requirements
- A degree comparable to the University of Calgary Religious Studies Master of Arts with a minimum grade point average of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale
Acceptance to graduate programs at the University of Calgary is competitive. Success in meeting our minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the PhD program.