Funding and awards
Graduate funding in the Department of English is made available from several sources including a substantial number of competitive scholarships and awards. We provide strong support through mentoring and grant-writing training.
- Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards
- Graduate Assistantships (teaching and non-teaching) and Graduate Teaching Fellowships
- Social Science and Humanities Council of Canada (SSHRC) awards
- Vanier Scholarships Program
- Open Scholarship Competition
- Scholarships Recommended by the Department of English or the Faculty of Arts (competitions will be announced)
- Funding for Travel
- Graduate Students' Association Financial Support and Awards
Graduate student travel funding
Options exist to help fund trips to conduct thesis research or to make a presentation at a conference.
- The Department of English graduate program grants Graduate Student Travel Funding awards of varying amounts. Priority is given to students who have not received a travel award in the last 12 months. Funding is not guaranteed but we do try to provide support. During their program of studies, PhD students are eligible for two travel awards and MA students are eligible for one travel award. For further information, please view Department Graduate Travel Funding Application.
- The Graduate Students' Association has a granting program specifically aimed at supporting graduate student academic projects, presentation, publication, professional skills and development, etc. called the Professional Development Grant (PDG) for individuals and the Group Project Grants (GPGs) for academic groups. Please see the Graduate Students' Association Web site.
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies Travel Award is available to all students for one award during their academic program. Applications and details are posted here.
- A Faculty member’s research grant could also provide funding for a research assistant.
Graduate program contacts
Contact us for any questions you may have about the programs we offer in the Department of English.