How to apply for graduate studies
Start your path to your next degree in English with these steps.
Follow these steps before you apply for grad studies. Admissions to graduate programs are highly competitive, as there are a limited number of spaces. There is no general right of admission, so it's best to be as prepared as possible.
Before you start
Ensure you meet admission requirements for the Faculty of Graduate Studies and your program.
Plan 2 to 6 months to prepare required documents. International students may need longer.
Your online application and all application components must be received by Dec. 15 to be considered for funding for September admission.
Your letters of reference must address your suitability for academic study in literature in our department. They should be detailed, addressing gaps, strengths, how you are unique, your grades, your research proposal, and any significant achievements.
If you are interested in our creative writing stream, your referees should also be aware that our degree programs emphasize and require in-depth literary study and a background in literature in English as well, and should address your research plans, your critical writing and your creative writing abilities and potential.
Writing a Statement of Purpose / Letter of Intent / Statement of Intent
These letters are your opportunity to tell the graduate program:
- Your specific area of academic interest (research topic you want to work on)
- How your past education and other experiences have prepared you to be successful in the graduate program
- What you hope to achieve in the graduate program
- Why this particular program is the best place for you to pursue your interests
Generally, these statements are in the form of a short essay. Make sure to carefully read the specific instructions given by the English graduate program and ensure you provide us with all the materials asked for.
Other tips for a strong Statement of Interest
- State any work you have done in this area already (mention specific skills/techniques you have picked up)
- Connect your area of interest to work being done in the program (mention
- specific faculty members and projects)
- Refer to academic publications that have informed your interest (use correct
- citation as footnote)
- Mention any publications, presentations or conferences you have been a part of
Ready to apply?
Have you made your final decision and you're ready to apply?
What you'll need
The Faculty of Graduate Studies has detailed instructions about the application process.
Do you have everything?
You are responsible for ensuring your application is complete and all documents are received by the deadline.
The Department of English does not require you to confirm a supervisor prior to admission.
Graduate program contacts
Contact us for any questions you may have about the programs we offer in the Department of English.
Graduate Program Administrator
Ask me about graduate program advising
Associate Head (Graduate Program)
Ask me about graduate degree requirements
Dr. Suzette Mayr
Creative Writing Coordinator
Ask me about the Creative Writing Program