PhD in Literature in English
Our distinguished graduate faculty represents a wide array of approaches to the study of literature, including global and transnational literatures; medieval and early modern studies; Canadian literature; American literature; Victorian literature; digital humanities; comic and graphic texts; gender studies and cultural studies.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), in English
Understanding graduate studies
Get important information about what you need to do before you begin your grad studies.
Ready to apply?
Ready to start your application? Get the information you need to apply today.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in English
The Department of English offers a PhD degree with one specialization, Literature in English. The Creative Writing option is available within this specialization.
All applicants must meet the minimum entrance requirements set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Graduate programs in English also have the following requirements:
PhD degree admission requirements
- A completed four-year undergraduate program (or equivalent), and a completed Master's degree. At least one of the degrees must be in English Literature. In exceptional circumstances, degrees in a closely related discipline may meet admission requirements;
- A minimum admission grade point average of 3.5 on a 4 point scale at the graduate level;
- A Statement of Intent (no more than 600 words);
- A C.V.;
- A sample of critical writing, 5-10 pages;
- For creative writing applicants, an additional sample of 5-10 pages of creative writing;
- For applicants whose primary language is not English, proof of English language proficiency must be provided in one of the following ways: TOEFL score of 105 (internet-based test) or 600 (paper-based); IELTS score of 7.5 with no section less than 7.0 (academic version), MELAB score of 86, PTE score of 75;
- Two academic references
Ready to apply?
Have you made your final decision and you're ready to apply?
What you'll need
The Faculty of Graduate Studies has detailed instructions about the application process.
Do you have everything?
You are responsible for ensuring your application is complete and all documents are received by the deadline.
The Department of English does not require you to confirm a supervisor prior to admission.
Graduate program contacts
Contact us for any questions you may have about the programs we offer in the Department of English.
Graduate Program Administrator
Ask me about graduate program advising
Associate Head (Graduate Program)
Ask me about graduate degree requirements
Dr. Suzette Mayr
Creative Writing Coordinator
Ask me about the Creative Writing Program