Departmental scholarship and awards
Barbara and Murray Smith Scholarship in Canadian Politics
Up to $1,600, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student entering the final year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science and focusing on Canadian politics. This scholarship is made possible by Nova Chemicals, Inc., the Varsity Conservative Party Riding Association, and a matching allocation from the Faculty of Social Sciences. This award is made in recognition of the distinguished service of Murray Smith.
Best Political Science Honours Thesis:
For the best undergraduate Honours Thesis in the Department of Political Science, open to any area of Political Science.
Best Undergraduate Paper In International Relations
The award is for the best student paper that advances the study of cross-border interactions between various groups to understand how such interactions affect people, states, regions and the global community. Open to all students in the 501 International Relations core course.
Best Undergraduate Paper:
The award is for the best student paper that advances the study of politics. Open to all students in a 400 or 500-level course in Political Science.
Christian Hillman Prize
Up to $800, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student entering the third or fourth year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science who has completed at least three half-courses in Political Science over the last two consecutive terms. This Prize is made possible by the Family and friends of Christian Marie Hillman.
The Don I. Ray Paper Prize
For the best student paper analyzing the politics, policies, practice and promotion of social justice. “Social justice” is understood as the eradication of the root causes of exploitation and oppression so that there is a fair distribution of wealth, privilege and power. There is no restriction as to the region or time period. Open to all students in an undergraduate Political Science course.
This Prize is made possible by the generous donation of Dr. Don I. Ray.
Mark Grosjean Memorial Scholarship in Political Science:
This major scholarship recognizes excellence in Political Science and is intended to help the recipient focus on studies and related academic opportunities
One scholarship is offered annually to an undergraduate student entering a third or fourth year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science. The scholarship will be awarded based on academic merit. Preference will be given to students in the Honours program and/or those with a demonstrated interest in Political Theory or European Politics.
The value of the Scholarship is $5,500.
No application is required. All qualified students will be considered
Mark Grosjean Memorial Award for Conference Travel:
Up to $1,000, Established by the Grosjean Family and Friends, this scholarship is offered annually to an undergraduate student enrolled in the Faculty of Arts Political Science Honours program. For more details see here
Up to $1,500, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science who has interest and ability in the area of constitutional studies. This Scholarship was established in memory of Chilton Mewburn Weyland, Maurice Chilton Weyland and Richard Walter Weyland, and was made possible by Mrs. Henrietta Weyland.
Past winners of undergraduate departmental scholarships and prizes
Below you will find the winners of our Departmentally nominated undergraduate paper prizes and scholarships.
- 2017–18 Radke, Amelia Sarah
- 2016–17 Braun, Michelle Elizabeth
- 2015–16 Espayos, Jose Nathaniel
- 2014–15 Jerusalimiec, Lucas Daniel
- 2013–14 Dandenault, Marcus Tracey
- 2012–13 Weber, Jessica Dawn Marie
- 2011–12 Schutz, Kyle James
- 2010–11 Wakoluk, Brett Andrew
- 2009–10 Bach, David Ashton
- 2008–09 Gerke, Jocelyn Dawn
- 2007–08 Porter, Allison Laraine
- 2006–07 Harris, Matthew Vinecove
- 2017–18 Coltyn Herman
- 2016–17 Laura Silva Aya
- 2015–16 Lucas Jerusalimiec
- 2014–15 Stefan Parker
- 2013–14 Kyle James Schutz
- 2017–18 Kaitlyn Lee
- 2016–17 Brett Goodwin
- 2015–16 Erica Kunimoto
- 2014–15 Ellen Lloyd
- 2013–14 Graham Rapson
- 2017–18 Champagne, Alexandra Chanelle
- 2016–17 Laylor, Veniecia Abby-Gayle
- 2015 –16 Baker, Derek Michael Ray
- 2014–15 Grosjean, Mark Eric
- 2013–14 Kunimoto, Erica Mika Lynn
- 2012–13 Konnert, Heidi Elizabeth
- 2011–12 Kirkland, Rhiannon Myfanwy Lark
- 2010–11 Jinnah, Zain
- 2009–10 Macnab, Kimberly Evelyn
- 2008–09 Kennedy, Tyson Dean
- 2007–08 Dueck, David Andrew
- 2006–07 Phelps Bondaroff, Teale Nevada
- 2017–18 Korinn Burgess
- 2016–17 Alyna Campbell
- 2015–16 Shayna Lawrie
- 2017–18 Owuoth, Diana Maban
- 2016–17 Silva Aya, Laura Carolina
- 2015–16 Boettcher, Christopher Michael
- 2014–15 Molineaux, Connor John
- 2013–14 Roadhouse, Josh James
- 2012–13 Huestis, Paul Kenneth Wright
- 2011–12 Kohlman, Kalista Marie
- 2010–11 Saunders, Michael Glenn
- 2009–10 Macnab, Kimberly Evelyn
- 2008–09 Wahl, David James
- 2007–08 Minnett Watchel, Chance Allen
- 2006–07 Treasure, Kristalee Mary