Departmental Undergraduate Scholarship and Awards
Departmental Undergraduate Awards, Prizes, Scholarships
Up to $1,600, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student entering the final year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science and focusing on Canadian politics. This scholarship is made possible by Nova Chemicals, Inc., the Varsity Conservative Party Riding Association, and a matching allocation from the Faculty of Social Sciences. This award is made in recognition of the distinguished service of Murray Smith.
- 2019-20 Karolina Krisandova
- 2017–18 Amelia Sarah Radke
- 2016–17 Michelle Elizabeth Braun
- 2015–16 Jose Nathaniel Espayos
- 2014–15 Lucas Daniel Jerusalimiec
- 2013–14 Marcus Tracey Dandenault
- 2012–13 Jessica Dawn Marie Weber
- 2011–12 Kyle James Schutz
- 2010–11 Brett Andrew Wakoluk
- 2009–10 David Ashton Bach
- 2008–09 Jocelyn Dawn Gerke
- 2007–08 Allison Laraine Porter
- 2006–07 Matthew Vinecove Harris
For the Best Undergraduate Honours Thesis in the Department of Political Science, open to any area of Political Science.
- 2019-20 Christopher Knoch
- 2018-19 Andreae Sennyah
- 2017–18 Coltyn Herman
- 2016–17 Laura Silva Aya
- 2015–16 Lucas Jerusalimiec
- 2014–15 Stefan Parker
- 2013–14 Kyle James Schutz
The award is for the best student paper that advances the study of cross-border interactions between various groups to understand how such interactions affect people, states, regions, and the global community. Open to all students in the 501 International Relations core course.
The award is for the best student paper that advances the study of politics. Open to all students in a 400 or 500-level course in Political Science.
- 2019–20 Christopher Verklan
- 2018–19 Mischa Longman
- 2017–18 Kaitlyn Lee
- 2016–17 Brett Goodwin
- 2015–16 Erica Kunimoto
- 2014–15 Ellen Lloyd
- 2013–14 Graham Rapson
Up to $800, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student entering the third or fourth year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science who has completed at least three half-courses in Political Science over the last two consecutive terms. This Prize is made possible by the Family and friends of Christian Marie Hillman.
- 2019-20 Cera Cruise
- 2018-19 Roberto Borrelli
- 2017-18 Alexandra Chanelle Champagne
- 2016-17 Veniecia Abby-Gayle Laylor
- 2015-16 Derek Michael Ray Baker
- 2014-15 Mark Eric Grosjean
- 2013-14 Erica Mika Lynn Kunimoto
- 2012-13 Heidi Elizabeth Konnert
- 2011-12 Rhiannon Myfanwy Lark Kirkland
- 2010-11 Zain Jinnah
- 2009-10 Kimberly Evelyn Macnab
- 2008-09 Tyson Dean Kennedy
- 2007-08 David Andrew Dueck
- 2006-07 Teale Nevada Phelps Bondaroff
For the best student paper analyzing the politics, policies, practice, and promotion of social justice. “Social justice” is understood as the eradication of the root causes of exploitation and oppression so that there is a fair distribution of wealth, privilege, and power. There is no restriction as to the region or time period. Open to all students in an undergraduate Political Science course.
This Prize is made possible by the generous donation of Dr. Don I. Ray.
- 2019-20 Ariana Agouridis
- 2018-19 Leyde Rodriguez
- 2017-18 Korinn Burgess
- 2016-17 Alyna Campbell
- 2015-16 Shayna Lawrie
This major scholarship recognizes excellence in Political Science and is intended to help the recipient focus on studies and related academic opportunities.
One scholarship is offered annually to an undergraduate student entering a third or fourth year in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science. The scholarship will be awarded based on academic merit. Preference will be given to students in the Honours program and/or those with a demonstrated interest in Political Theory or European Politics.
Established by Grosjean Family & Friends in memory of Mark Grosjean, University of Calgary Honours Student and 2017 Silver Medallion winner in Political Science.
The value of the Scholarship is $5,500.
No application is required. All qualified students will be considered.
To learn more about the establishment of the Mark Grosjean Memorial Scholarship, click here.
- 2019-20 William Gregson
- 2018-19 Mischa Longman
Up to $1,000, Established by the Grosjean Family and Friends, this scholarship is offered annually to an undergraduate student enrolled in the Faculty of Arts Political Science Honours program. For more details see here.
- Deferred due to COVID-19
- 2018-19 William Gregson
Medallions presented at convocation are among the most prestigious of University awards. These awards reflect the highest academic distinction earned by a student in a particular discipline.
Silver Medallions: Each department (or equivalent unit) awards one silver medallion to the student graduating with the highest distinction in scholarship in their program.
Up to $1,500, Offered annually to a continuing undergraduate student in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Political Science who has interest and ability in the area of constitutional studies. This Scholarship was established in memory of Chilton Mewburn Weyland, Maurice Chilton Weyland, and Richard Walter Weyland, and was made possible by Mrs. Henrietta Weyland.
- 2019-20 Safiya El Ferro
- 2018-19 Brayden Greestein
- 2017-18 Diana Maban Owuoth
- 2016-17 Laura Carolina Silva Aya
- 2015-16 Christopher Michael Boettcher
- 2014-15 Connor John Molineaux
- 2013-14 Josh James Roadhouse
- 2012-13 Paul Kenneth Wright Huestis
- 2011-12 Kalista Marie Kohlman
- 2010-11 Michael Glenn Saunders
- 2009-10 Kimberly Evelyn Macnab
- 2008-09 David James Wahl
- 2007-08 Chance Allen Minnett Watchel
- 2006-07 Kristalee Mary Treasure