Dance in the School of Creative and Performing Arts
Before you begin
Complete UCalgary application
If you have not yet done so, please visit the Admissions website to submit your UCalgary application for admission, and then return to this page to continue your Division of Dance Audition Application.
Have your UCID available
This was created when submitting your UCalgary application for admission.
Complete before deadline
The Audition Application is due March 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
Audition Application for prospective Bachelor of Arts Dance students for entrance Fall 2021
- If you apply to the BA/BFA Dance degree program you must complete an online Audition Application form by March 1, 2021.
- Any audition materials received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Reference letters are not used in the audition process and will not be considered.
- Transcripts do not accompany the audition form, but must be sent directly from the applicant's institution to the UCalgary Admissions Office.
After submitting an Admission Application to the University of Calgary Admissions Office and an Audition Application to the Division of Dance, all applicants will be expected to audition by online video submission.
Video auditions may be submitted as Vimeo or YouTube links in your BFA/BA Dance Audition application form. Additional details on video requirements can be found in the Video Audition Information Sheet.
Clothing requirements for in-person and video auditions
- Please wear close-fitting dance clothes to allow the jury to see full body movement; no sweats or baggy clothing.
- Footwear is either bare feet or soft jazz shoes.
- Hair should be tied back, and jewelry should be removed.
Level of expertise
- Some previous dance training is expected in order to be accepted as a BA/BFA Dance major at the University of Calgary.
- Beginner dancers are encouraged to take 200-level non-major dance courses at the University of Calgary before auditioning, or seek quality dance training elsewhere.
- Training in contemporary dance is helpful but not expected of you.
There will be no in-person auditions for the 2021-2022 academic year. Auditions will occur by means of online video submission.
The material on the audition video should be recent and not exceed 15 minutes in length. The video must include the following:
Part one – Personal Introduction (please use a closeup shot)
- Your full name
- Description of what is included on the video, e.g. the sequence of events, the name of the choreographer
Part two – Performance
- Warmup and phrase material (3 minutes max - include both of the following)
- A brief warmup sequence that includes full body movements. The sequence should allow us to see you roll down the spine and back up (side profile), could include use of the torso, level changes, weight bearing on the hands, and parallel and turned-out leg alignment. A floor sequence might be included.
- Across the floor: Show one or two locomotive sequences that demonstrate walking, progressing from standing to the floor and back up; include different uses of the torso and facing changes; finish with large movements such as leaps and jumps.
- Movement studies or pieces (12 minutes max)
- Include longer movement sequences or studies that shows your ability to move through space using weight change, level change, and direction changes. Music is optional, but not necessary.
- The studies or pieces can be in a style of your choice (but must be performed in either bare feet or soft jazz shoes).
Format: Video Auditions may be submitted as Vimeo or YouTube links in your BA/BFA Dance Audition application. Additional details on video requirements and options for submission can be found by reading the Video Audition Information Sheet.