Dance in the School of Creative and Performing Arts
Before you begin
Complete UCalgary application
If you have not yet done so, please visit the Admissions website to submit your UCalgary application for admission, and then return to this page to continue your Division of Dance Audition Application.
Have your UCID available
This was created when submitting your UCalgary application for admission.
Complete before deadline
The Audition Application is due March 1, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Audition Application for prospective Bachelor of Arts Dance students for entrance Fall 2020
- If you apply to the BA/BFA Dance degree program you must complete an online Audition Application form by March 1, 2020.
- Any audition materials received after the deadline will not be considered (with the exception of Video Auditions submitted via DVD, which must be received by the Division of Dance by March 1, 2020).
- Reference letters are not used in the audition process and will not be considered.
- Transcripts do not accompany the audition form, but must be sent directly from the applicant's institution to the UCalgary Admissions Office.
- After submitting an Admission Application to the University of Calgary Admissions Office and an Audition Application to the Division of Dance, all applicants will be expected to audition either inperson or by video submission.
- Auditions are conducted by the BA/BFA Dance Committee and will be held on the University of Calgary campus on March 13–14, 2020.
Clothing requirements for in-person and video auditions
- Please wear close-fitting dance clothes to allow the jury to see full body movement; no sweats or baggy clothing.
- Contemporary Class is danced barefoot; jazz shoes for jazz class are optional.
- Hair should be tied back, and jewelry should be removed.
Parents are invited to stay for the preliminary sign-in and for the welcome at the beginning of the audition, but are not able to stay for the audition. Parents are invited to return to attend the question and answer period at the end of the day.
Level of expertise
- Some previous dance training is expected in order to be accepted as a BA/BFA Dance major at the University of Calgary.
- Beginner dancers are encouraged to take 200-level non-major dance courses at the University of Calgary before auditioning, or seek quality dance training elsewhere.
- Training in contemporary dance is helpful but not expected of you.
- Friday March 13, 2020 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Saturday March 14, 2020 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Be prepared to attend both days.
- The audition includes technique classes (contemporary and jazz), structured improvisation, a dance composition assignment, and a short writing assignment. These activities will be performed in groups.
- You do not need to prepare a solo or any other material, nor bring any music to the audition.
- If you are coming from out of town, plan to arrive the night before the first day of auditions.
- Applicants who live more than 500km outside of the city of Calgary, or who cannot otherwise attend the inperson audition will be required to submit a video audition.
The material on the audition video should be recent and not exceed 10 minutes in length. The video must include the following:
Part one – personal introduction (please use a closeup shot)
- Your full name
- Description of what is included on the video, e.g. the sequence of events, the name of the choreographer
Part two – performance
- Warmup and phrase material (include both of the following)
- A warmup sequence that includes full body movements. The sequence should allow us to see you roll down the spine and back up, could include use of the torso, level changes, weightbearing on the hands, and parallel and turnedout leg alignment. A floor sequence might be included.
- Across the floor: Show one or two locomotive sequences that demonstrate walking, progressing from standing to the floor and back up; include different uses of the torso and facing changes; finish with large movements such as leaps and jumps.
- A movement study or piece (12 minutes max)
- Include a longer movement sequence or study that shows your ability to move through space using weight change, level change, and direction changes. Music is optional, but not necessary.
- The study can be in a style of your choice (but must be performed in either bare feet or jazz shoes/sneakers)
Format: Video Auditions may be submitted as Vimeo or YouTube links in your University of Calgary BA/BFA Dance Audition application, or as a DVD mailed to the SCPA. Additional details on video requirements and options for submission can be found by reading the Video Audition Information Sheet.
Undergraduate Program Administrator
Ask me about general undergraduate program advising.
Arts Students' Centre
Ask us about admissions, degree programs, graduation and more.
Looking for office location, address or hours?