Dance in the School of Creative and Performing Arts
Before you begin
Complete UCalgary application
If you have not yet done so, please visit the Admissions website to submit your UCalgary application for admission, and then return to this page to continue your Division of Dance Audition Application.
Have your UCID available
This was created when submitting your UCalgary application for admission.
Complete before deadline
The Audition Application is due March 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
Audition Application for prospective Bachelor of Arts Dance students for entrance Fall 2022
- If you apply to the BA/BFA Dance degree program you must complete an online Audition Application form by March 1, 2022.
- Any audition materials received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Reference letters are not used in the audition process and will not be considered.
- Transcripts do not accompany the audition form, but must be sent directly from the applicant's institution to the UCalgary Admissions Office.
- After submitting an admission application to the University of Calgary Admissions Office and a Dance audition application to the Division of Dance, all applicants will be expected to audition either in person or via online video submission.
- Auditions are conducted by the BA/BFA Dance Committee and will be held on the University of Calgary campus on March 11-12, 2022.
- Video auditions may be submitted as Vimeo or YouTube links in your BA/BFA Dance Audition application form. Additional details on video requirements can be found in the Video Audition Information Sheet.
Clothing requirements for in-person and video auditions
- Please wear close-fitting dance clothes to allow the jury to see full body movement, no sweats or baggy clothing.
- Footwear is barefoot, soft jazz shoes or socks.
- Hair should be tied back, and jewelry should be removed.
Parents are invited to stay for the preliminary sign-in and for the welcome at the start of the day but are not able to stay for the audition. Parents may return to attend the information session at the end of the day.
Level of expertise
- Some previous dance training is expected to be accepted as a BA/BFA Dance major at the University of Calgary.
- Beginner dancers are encouraged to take 200-level non-major dance courses at the University of Calgary or seek quality dance training elsewhere prior to auditioning.
- Training in contemporary dance is helpful but not expected of you.
- Friday, March 11, 2022 from 9am - 4pm and Saturday, March 12, 2022 from 9am - 12pm.
- Be prepared to attend both days.
- You do not need to prepare a solo or any other material, nor bring any music to the audition.
- If you are coming from out of town, plan to arrive the night before the first day of auditions.
A Glimpse into Audition Day
The audition is comprised of the following:
- Sign-in and welcome
Parents may stay until the warm-up but cannot stay for the audition.
- Contemporary class; Jazz class
- Composition assignment
- Group Discussion
- Writing assignment
- Information session
Parents are welcome to attend.
Applicants who live more than 500 km outside of the city of Calgary, or who cannot otherwise attend the in person audition, will be required to submit a video audition.
The material on the audition video should be recent and not exceed 12 minutes in length.