Dance at Night, 2019

Dance FAQ

School of Creative and Performing Arts

Course FAQ

In order to give you the best possible guidance in studio classes, teachers must be able to see the entire body. Postural alignment and joint and muscle use cannot be corrected if the body is hidden by too loose or too bulky clothing.

  • Ballet class: Speak to your instructor
  • Contemporary dance class: Though dress is generally less prescribed than ballet, please be aware that teachers must be able to see the entire body
  • Jazz dance class: Please be aware that teachers must be able to see the entire body, and please bring appropriate jazz shoes
  • Please be considerate of your fellow dancers. Avoid long fingernails and jewelry (including watches, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and large rings); a loose or sharp piece of jewelry can be extremely dangerous to yourself and other students
  • Hair should be worn off the neck and face to facilitate correct alignment and technique.

At the end of class, you usually have the opportunity to show your appreciation to the instructor and the musician. A demonstration of thanks may take the form of a formal reverence (as in a ballet class) and/or applause. If that moment is not provided, take the time to say thank you.

The School of Creative and Performing Arts has a wide variety of courses across our disciplines that are available to all undergraduate students on campus. These courses are a great way to both enrich your current program and fulfill your open option requirements.

Open to non-dance majors:

DNCE 201211, 215, and 221: No audition required

DNCE 205: If you do not have the prerequisite, you will be required to do a course audition.

DNCE 345, 427: No pre-requisites

DNCE 207, 209, 305, 307, 311, 313, 321, 323, 405, 407, 411, 413, 421, 423, 505, 507.

Fall semester courses:

  • All students will be required to audition for dance technique courses scheduled for the fall semester.

Winter semester courses:

  • Students will not have to audition if they have taken the prerequisite course in the fall semester immediately preceding the current winter term (e.g. if you completed DNCE 321 in the fall 2019 semester, then you will not have to audition for DNCE 323 in the winter 2020 semester).

The auditions take place on the first day of lectures for each course, and are done in a group format. If you are successful you will be notified by the division by email to your email account and will be granted permission to register in the course. These technique courses are designed for BA/BFA Dance majors. For non-majors who wish to take advanced-level technique courses, you must attend the first day(s) of class and perform a group audition.

Generally, you will observe the demonstration of dance material and learn its forms and concepts, as well as directions and musicality. You will commit the material to memory and achieve a level of comfort or ownership of the movement so that you may fully embrace and dance it with integrity. In addition, you will often be asked to contribute and devise material as a way of problem solving, which will enhance your learning process.

Dance technique classes have elements of lecture, group discussion and personal observation and testimony. Class projects may involve working in groups to research and present on an aspect of history or practice of technique. All technique courses require you to attend conferences with your instructor, where learning issues can be fully discussed and course work can be refocused or brought to conclusion.

Program FAQ

How do I get permission for a course that requires consent of the division?

Email the instructor of the course with your full name, student ID number, and an explanation of your interest in the course, and ask them for their consent. If the instructor approves, the instructor will email the Undergraduate Program Administrator, who will enter the permission and let you know when you can register for the course.

Can I add a dance minor? How do I do it?

Yes, you can add a minor at any time in your program. You can add a minor through your student center as a “Change of Program” between October and February, when the access is open. Any eligible courses you have already completed will be applied to your minor. The program advisors at the Arts Students' Centre can help you with this process.

Contact ASC

What does the Concentration in Dance Pedagogy require?

To complete the Dance Pedagogy concentration, students will be required to complete the following 18 units (6 half-course equivalents):

Dance 235: Introduction to Safe Dance Practice and Complementary Training Techniques

Dance 359: Dance Anatomy

Dance 447: Dance Pedagogy: Community Populations

Dance 449: Dance Pedagogy: Children and Youth

Dance 465: Dance Psychology

Dance 493: Dance Teaching Practicum

What does the Concentration in Dance Production require?

To complete the Dance Production concentration, students will be required to complete the following 18 units (6 half-course equivalents):

Drama 223: Introduction to Theatre Production

Drama 225: Introduction to Scenography

Dance 391: Dance and the Camera

Dance 437: Dance Dramaturgy

Dance 491: Design and Production for Dance

School of Creative and Performing Arts 401: Performing Arts Management

Where can I find more information about auditioning for and viewing performances?

Audition opportunities are posted on the Division of Dance bulletin boards outside CHD 100; a number of opportunities are also posted on the SCPA website.
View auditions »

View upcoming events »

All UCalgary students are able to view SCPA concerts and performances for free by showing their Unicard at the ticket office 45 minutes to 15 minutes prior to the start of the performance.
Claim your seat »

Can I get academic credit for dancing in a production?

Yes. Practicum courses (DNCE 295, 395, 397, 495) provide students with course credit for major artistic projects and teaching: e.g., choreographing or performing for Dance Montage, performing in Mainstage, performing in student works for Dance at Night, and teaching in the school system. Forms are available on the Division of Dance bulletin boards outside CHD 100. Please note that there are a minimum number of hours of practical work required within practicum placements, and include a reflective paper as well.

Can I overload into the class I want?

Overloads are possible, but the instructor and division chair must approve. Overloads cannot be processed if the enrollment capacity is the same as the physical room capacity; this is a central University policy due to fire code regulations. Speak to the Undergraduate Program Administrator for more details.

If a course is full, can I still attend?

No. If a course is full and at capacity, you cannot attend; this is a safety precaution. You cannot earn credit for the work you do in a course unless you are registered.

What if a course I need for graduation is not offered?

Courses may not be offered each year. You are encouraged to work with the Undergraduate Program Administrator and the Arts Student Centre to plan your progression through your degree. In the event a required course is not offered due to unforeseen circumstances (instructor availability, budgetary restraints) during the final year of your degree, the Undergraduate Program Administrator and the Division Chair will work with you to find a resolution.


Undergraduate Program Advising

Ask us about general undergraduate program advising.

Arts Students' Centre

Ask us about program requirements, degree programs, graduation and more.

Get help from the Arts Student Centre

SCPA Office location

Looking for office location, address or hours?

Visit our contact page