Facilities and room bookings
The SCPA houses a variety of dynamic, state-of-the-art facilities. Classrooms and studios are available to students and faculty to practice and create.
You can book rooms using the Astra booking system.
If you can't book online, you can book rooms at the front desk of the School of Creative and Performing Arts in CHD 100, Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–12 p.m.; 1–4:30 p.m.
Integrated Arts Media Lab
The Integrated Arts Media Lab functions as a digital classroom drop-in work venue, and has hardware and software to support all of the fine arts disciplines. The lab also provides a number of free and non-profit services to users, including digital cameras, disc burning, files storage, 3D printing, as well as access to user guides and other user support services.
Sonic Arts Lab
The Sonic Arts Lab is a multi-channel digital audio studio where students and faculty realize projects in Electroacoustic music, soundscape composition, computer music, multi-channel sound spatialization, and interactive music involving instruments with computer, and sound design for video, film and stage production.
Telemedia Arts Lab
Telearts experiments with real-time artistic and musical collaboration over high-speed research networks. The lab is home to Syneme, established under a Canada Research Chair in Telemedia Arts. It serves as a point of multidisciplinary collaboration at the University of Calgary, offering high definition cameras, projectors, low latency audio and expertise to facilitate creative projects.
EDU 067, CHE 011, CHC 002, CHD 520
CHD 015, CHE 107, RT 110 (Green Room)
- Eckhardt-Gramatté Hall in the Rozsa Centre
- University theatre
- Reeve theatre
- F.R. Matthews Theatre (CHF 101)
- Doolittle Theatre (CHF 206)
- Costume shop
- Properties/paint shop
- Scene shop
- Design studio
Dance bookable rooms
- EDU 067 - capacity 22 (1 piano and a sound system) - not bookable after 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays
- CHE 011 - capacity 22 (sound system)
- CHC 002 - capacity 30 (1 piano and a sound system)
- CHD 520
Rooms administered by the Faculty of Kinesiology
- Aux Gym A117 – Capacity 40
- Dance Studio A163 – Capacity 40
- KNB 70 – Capacity 20
- Multi-purpose Studio KNA 162 – Capacity 20
To book a studio space administered by the Faculty of Kinesiology, contact either Elyse or Karen. You will be instructed on access to keys for the studios at the time of your booking. There is no access to the stereos in any of the studios in Kinesiology, you will be required to supply your own.
- Dance studios are only available to students currently enrolled in DNCE classes for course related work.
- Students can book up to two hours per day, with a maximum of six hours per week
- Students should state the course for which each booking is for
- Only full time faculty and choreography students can block book rooms
- Choreography students may book space for class assignments up to 6 weeks in advance. To maintain this priority booking status, they must book by Friday of the week before space is needed. They may book space the week of, but priority status is lost. On Monday of each week, all other approved users may book space for that week only.
- Academic Schedule
- Full Time Dance Faculty
- Part time instructors (for coursework preparation)
- Students registered in DNCE 581/431/433/333/531
- Dance Majors currently registered in DNCE classes working on course related projects
- Students registered in all other DNCE courses working on course related projects
Drama bookable rooms
- CHD 015 - capacity 20
- CHE 107 - capacity 20
- RT 110 (Green Room) - capacity 12 (cannot be used during productions)
- CHC 008 - capacity 30 (1 piano)
- CHD 003 - capacity 20
- CHE 002 - capacity 20
- CHE 004 - capacity 20 (1 piano, 2 spotlights)
- CHE 012 - capacity 40
- CHD 210 (Reading Room) - capacity 8
- Only faculty, Stage Managers for Main Stage Productions, and ND Theatre can block book rooms.
- Students can book rooms for a maximum of 3 hours per day.
- All long term bookings are subject to approval.
- Division Policy states that all Drama facilities must be vacated by 11 p.m.
- In the Reading Room, students are allowed to view books and scripts, but cannot take them out.
Students may sign out scripts stored in a folder behind the CHD100 reception desk.
- Academic Schedule
- Main Stage Productions
- Directing Students (level 410/510/610)
- ND Theatre
- Drama Student Clubs
- Drama Students
Music bookable rooms
- CHF 001 - capacity 20 (grand piano)
- CHF 007 (Band Room: Ensembles/Orchestra practice) - capacity 75 (grand piano)
- CHF 202 (Choral Room) - capacity 75 (grand piano and multimedia)
- CHF 210 - capacity 20 (2 grand pianos and multimedia)
- CHE 215 - capacity 20 (practice organ, grand piano)
- Only faculty can block book rooms.
- You can book up to two hours per day, with a maximum of six hours per week.
- Academic schedule
- Music majors
- Music minors