The Graduate Music Society is a group of dedicated members who create a cohesive and supportive structure for graduate studies in music at UCalgary. We promote communication and interaction between all graduate students in music.
Annual Graduate Student Conference
Every year, the GMS organizes an International Graduate Music Conference “Confounding Expectations” to encourage the sharing of research in the field of music. The GMS Conference receives strong support from the Music department of the University of Calgary.
The Conference topic is chosen by the GMS members. The incoming abstracts are adjudicated by a committee of Professors from the Music Department.
The event typically lasts for two days and features paper presentations, lecture-recitals, performances, round tables, presentations by the invited esteemed members of the musical community and the keynote presentation. Specific to each year, receptions and catering are organized to provide a comfortable and pleasing atmosphere.
The Conference usually takes place in the Eckhardt-Gramatté Hall on the University of Calgary main campus. In 2021, the Conference was planned in the online setting over Zoom to ensure safety of all the participating members. We do supply the online presentation format for in-person conference participants as well.
- 2021 Confounding Expectations: Music in the Information Age - Call for Papers
Dates: June 11, 12, 2021
Keynote speakers: Norma Coates (University of Western Ontario)
- 2020 Confounding Expectations: rescheduled to 2021 due to the COVID-19
- 2019 Confounding Expectations: Cultural Meaning in Sound
Keynote speaker: Barry Tryax (Simon Fraser University)
- 2018 Confounding Expectations: Music and the Creative Process
Keynote speaker: Roger Moseley (Cornell University)
- 2017 Confounding Expectations: Celebrating 150 Years of Music in Canada
Keynote speakers: Mary Ingraham (University of Alberta) & Allan Gordon Bell (University of Calgary)
- 2016 Confounding Expectations: Music and Multiculturalism
Keynote speaker: Robin Elliott (University of Toronto)
- 2015 Confounding Expectations: Musical Intersections
Keynote: Benjamin Piekut (Stanford University)
- 2014 Confounding Expectations: Music(s) and Place(s)
Keynote speaker: Joseph Auner (Tufts University)