Jan. 11, 2022
Apply to be an SCPA Peer Supporter!
Position Title: Peer Supporter
Term: Winter 2022
Hours: 2 hours/week
Length of Position: January – April
Peer Supporters are the heart and soul of the SCPA as they are trained to recognize when their peers need help. Becoming a Peer Supporter is an excellent way to enhance and strengthen your holistic experience on campus, interact with passionate and engaged individuals from diverse backgrounds, learn about social justice and gender issues through dialogue and activities, and develop leadership skills.
Peer Supporters develop and implement community outreach activities and provide group and one-on-one peer support within the SCPA. Peer Supporters are fully supported by the SCPA EDID Committee, Peer Support Team Leader, and their fellow Peer Supporters.
SCPA Peer Support will be provided virtually during Winter 2022.
TEAM SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in community outreach activities (e.g., information sessions, social media posts)
- Sign-up for a weekly time slot to provide peer-to-peer support
- Attend the SCPA Peer Supporter Orientation Saturday, January 22 3-6pm via Zoom
- Attend the UCalgary Peer Support Training Monday, January 31 via Zoom
- Attend monthly team meetings (3 per semester) via Zoom
- Participate in a mid-semester check-in with the Peer Support Team Leader
- Commit 2 hours per week for the semester
- Enhance and strengthen your holistic experience on campus by developing a sense of belonging
- Meet new people, make new friends, and develop professional contacts as part of an amazing community
- Develop your leadership and interpersonal skills through valuable training and experience
- Improve your knowledge of equity, diversity, and inclusion issues on campus and in the larger community
- Access materials and resources that are specifically related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Increase knowledge of services offered on campus and in the community
- Develop a passion for helping others and getting involved
- Facilitate awareness in social justice
- Gain skills in:
- Interpersonal communication
- Active listening
- Public speaking
- Helping skills
- Group facilitation
- Community partnership development
- Resource referral
- Current SCPA students registered in courses in good conduct standing for non-academic misconduct at the University of Calgary
- Respect for and strong interest in gender/women’s issues and diversity in its broadest sense, including gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, faith, age, and ability
- Demonstrated professionalism and commitment
- Time management to balance between Peer Supporter responsibilities and school/work/social life
- Ability to work as part of team as well as independently
- Passion for community and comfortable approaching strangers
- Good communication skills
- Ability to function within crisis situations
- Ability to take initiative, as well as take direction
- Ability to make a full commitment as a Peer Supporter
- SCPA Peer Support Orientation Saturday, January 22 3-6pm via zoom
- Attend a 3-hour U Calgary Peer Support Training Monday, January 31 via zoom.
PEER HELPER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Peer Helper Program at the University of Calgary is made up of over 300 students every year, who are involved in 19 different on-campus offices. Part of being a Peer Helper involves ongoing professional development.
Please submit an online Peer Supporter application form. The deadline to apply is by Monday, January 18th, 3 p.m. Please note that the SCPA Peer Support Network is mentored by the Women’s Resource Centre (WRC) and the application form is housed under the WRC’s Better Impact/MyImpactPage account.
Peer Support Network, School of Creative and Performing Arts at email@example.com