This fellowship is established in memory of Thelma Margaret Horte. Ms. Horte was committed to advancing the cause of women in society and equality in the workplace, and interested in areas such as women’s human and civil rights as well as women’s active participation in society. To capture Thelma Margaret Horte’s commitment to women’s causes, this fellowship will be awarded to a faculty member in the Faculty of Arts pursuing research within this field.
The fellowship is awarded on an annual basis. It is valued at $10,000. The award’s tenure is six months, to be taken up between 1 July – 31 December or 1 January – 30 June in the academic year of the award’s receipt. An award being used to obtain release from teaching must be supported by a department head’s or school director’s letter of approval.
The deadline for applications is June 1.
Eligibility to Apply
- The successful applicant must be pursuing research related to the active participation of women in a society; equality in the workplace, or women’s human and civil rights.
- Individuals holding continuing academic appointments (tenured or tenure-track) in the Faculty of Arts with explicit research expectations are eligible.
- Individuals holding active Tri-Agency (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) research grants or start-up funds are not eligible. Individuals holding other research grants must report the title, funding source, amount received, and period of the award for each active grant.
- The successful recipient will report research results at a public talk organized by the Faculty of Arts at the end of the fellowship’s term .
- Applicants must commit to applying for a SSHRC Insight or Insight Development Grant within 18 months of the completion of the fellowship.
 The public talk will be organized in close coordination with the Associate Dean Research under which this Fellowship falls.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact University Relations at email@example.com