The Faculty of Arts values equity, diversity and inclusion
Equity and Diversity Committee
The Faculty of Arts’ Equity and Diversity Committee works to fulfill the Faculty’s commitment to build a genuinely diverse community in our Faculty and deliberately seek ways to increase equity and diversity in all of its facets. Diversity includes, but is not limited to, race, ethnicities, religions, gender identities, sexual orientations, abilities and backgrounds.
The committee engages in activities that:
- Promote an inclusive institutional climate that reflects, respects and celebrates diversity.
- Raise awareness of discrimination and unconscious bias among faculty, students and staff.
- Support members of the Faculty of Arts who experience discrimination at the University.
- Ensure training opportunities for mentoring all faculty toward tenure and promotion and over the course of their careers.
- Provide resources for effective inclusive pedagogies that support the learning of all students.
- Create awareness and a shared sense of responsibility among faculty, staff and students to promote a learning and working culture that values equity, diversity and inclusion.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are key components of the Faculty of Arts Strategic Plan.
2020-2021 Equity and Diversity Committee Members
- Virginia Tumasz, committee chair
Vice-dean, Faculty of Arts
- Marie-Andrée Bergeron, committee vice-chair
Faculty member, School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures
- Fayo Abdi, undergraduate student, Faculty of Arts
- Ozouf Senamin Amedegnato, faculty member, School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures
- Pallavi Banerjee, faculty member, Department of Sociology
- Marica Cassis, faculty member, Department of Classics and Religion
- Susan Franceschet, faculty member, Department of Political Science
- Faye Halpern, faculty member, Department of English
- Joe Kadi, faculty member, Women's Studies Program, Department of Philosophy
- Tazia Khushboo, graduate student, Faculty of Arts
- Yvonne Martin, faculty member, Department of Geography
- Lori Somner, staff member, Department of History
- Shelley Wind, staff member, Department of Psychology